Houston is a melting pot of cultures and cuisines, and one of the best ways to experience its diversity is by sampling its Indian food scene. But how do you know where to go for the best quality food and drinks? That’s why I put together this list of the most popular Indian restaurants in Houston.
This list has it all from where to get spicy curries and fragrant biryanis to where to get crispy chaats and fluffy naans. It is a collection with something for everyone.
Whether you’re looking for a casual and affordable place to enjoy some street food-style snacks, an upscale restaurant to savor some refined Indian cuisine, or a fusion of Indian flavors with Tex-Mex or barbecue, you’ll find it in this collection. Go through this collection and make your choice.
10 Popular Indian Restaurants in Houston
Here are our picks for the 10 most popular Indian restaurants in Houston that you should try.
This upscale restaurant in The Galleria is a culinary journey through India, featuring dishes from 29 different states. The menu changes seasonally and showcases regional specialties like Kashmiri lamb shanks, Goan fish curry, Hyderabadi dum biryani, and Rajasthani laal maas. The decor is stunning, with intricate woodwork, colorful fabrics, and a spice room where you can see and smell the ingredients used in the dishes.
- Address: 5115 Westheimer Rd Suite C-3500A, Houston, TX 77056
- Website: https://www.musaaferhouston.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Thursday 11 am – 10 pm; Friday-Saturday 11 am -11 pm; Sunday 11 am – 9 pm
2. Aga’s Restaurant & Catering
This popular spot in Stafford serves authentic Indian and Pakistani food in a spacious dining hall. The menu is extensive and includes classics like chicken tikka masala, goat karahi, palak paneer, and dal makhani. You can also try some of their signature dishes like goat chops, nihari, haleem, and paya. For having an assorted collection of Indian meals, Aga’s Restaurant & Catering merits being listed among the renowned Indian restaurants in Houston. You won’t want to miss their fresh naan bread and tandoori items from the clay oven.
- Address: 11842 Wilcrest Dr., Houston TX 77031
- Website: https://agasrestaurant.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Sunday 11 am – 10 pm
3. Bombay Sweets
If you’re looking for a casual and affordable place to enjoy some street food-style snacks, head to Bombay Sweets in Sharpstown. This vegetarian restaurant offers a variety of chaats (savory snacks), such as dahi vada (lentil dumplings with yogurt and chutneys), kachori (stuffed puri), and samosa chaat (fried pastry with potatoes and chickpeas). You can also get some dosas (rice crepes), idlis (steamed rice cakes), and uttapams (thick pancakes) from their South Indian section.
- Address: 5827 Hillcroft St., Houston TX 77036
- Website: http://bombaysweetshouston.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Sunday 9 am – 9 pm
4. Da Gama Canteen
This new addition to The Heights is a fusion of Goa’s Portuguese-Indian cuisine and Houston’s Tex-Mex flavors. You can find dishes like grilled cheese with green chili chutney, salted cod fritters with oregano chutney, shrimp curry with coconut rice, and chicken xacuti with tortillas. The restaurant also serves coffee, chai, baked goods, cocktails, and desserts.
- Address: 600 N Shepherd Dr Suite #472, Houston TX 77007
- Website: https://www.dagamacanteen.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Friday 8 am – 10 pm; Saturday-Sunday 9 am – 10 pm
This Oak Forest restaurant is a haven for vegans and vegetarians who want to enjoy wholesome Indian food without any animal products. The buffet changes daily but usually includes basmati rice; curry with vegetables; tofu scramble or barbecue tofu; chana masala; roti; salad; soup; and dessert. No wonder then why Govinda’s is one of the choice Indian restaurants in Houston.
You can also order from their a la carte menu that features dishes like vegan cheese pizza, veggie burger, nachos supreme, and lasagna.
- Address: 1320 W 34th St., Houston TX 77018
- Website: https://govindashou.com/
- Operating hours: Wednesday through Friday: 12 pm to 3 pm; Saturday and Sunday: 12 pm to 8 pm; Closed on Monday and Tuesday.
This elegant restaurant in Upper Kirby is known for its refined Indian cuisine, blending traditional flavors with modern techniques.
Chef Kiran Verma creates dishes like tandoori lobster tail with saffron rice pilaf; lamb shank rogan josh with apricot couscous; duck breast vindaloo with cranberry chutney; and paneer tikka masala with garlic naan. The restaurant also has an impressive wine list and a beautiful patio.
- Address: 2925 Richmond Ave., Houston TX 77098
- Website: https://kiranshouston.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Friday 11 am – 2 pm, 5 pm – 10 pm; Saturday 5 pm – 10 pm; Sunday 11 am – 2 pm, 5 pm – 9 pm
7. Maharaja Bhog
If you want to experience the royal treatment of Indian dining, visit Maharaja Bhog in Westchase or Sugar Land. It is one of the top Indian restaurants in Houston that serves thali-style meals that consist of unlimited servings of various dishes on a large platter. You can choose from Gujarati or Rajasthani thalis that include items like dal bati churma (lentils with wheat balls), gatte ki sabzi (gram flour dumplings in gravy), kadhi (yogurt-based curry), khichdi (rice-lentil porridge), puri (deep-fried bread), pickle, raita (yogurt dip), salad, and dessert.
- Address: 8338 Southwest Fwy., Houston TX 77074 or 8338 Highway 6, Missouri City TX 77459
- Website: https://www.maharajabhog.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Sunday 11:30 am – 3 pm, 6:30 pm – 10 pm
This cozy restaurant in Montrose is a great place to enjoy some classic Indian dishes in a relaxed atmosphere. The menu features curries, tandoori items, biryanis, and vegetarian options that are flavorful and satisfying. Some of their specialties include chicken 65 (spicy fried chicken), fish moilee (coconut fish curry), lamb rogan josh (lamb cooked in onion-tomato gravy), and malai kofta (cheese balls in a creamy sauce). They also have lunch specials and catering services.
- Address: 14543 Memorial Dr., Houston TX 77079
- Website: https://nirvanahouston.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Sunday 11 am – 10 pm
9. Cowboys & Indians
This unique restaurant in Washington Corridor combines Texas barbecue and Indian cuisine in a fun and casual setting. You can find dishes like brisket biryani, tandoori chicken wings, smoked lamb ribs, and naan tacos with various fillings. They also have salads, burgers, sandwiches, wraps, and desserts. The restaurant has a full bar with craft beers, wines, cocktails, and mocktails.
- Address: 1901 Taft St., Houston TX 77006
- Website: https://www.cowboysindianshouston.com/
- Operating hours: Tuesday-Friday 4 pm-12 am; Saturday-Sunday 11 am – 12 am; Closed on Monday
10. London Sizzler Tandoori Bar & Grill
This family-owned restaurant in Westchase serves authentic British Indian food with a twist. You can find dishes like chicken tikka pie, butter chicken pizza, curry pot pie, and sizzling mixed grill platters. They also have traditional favorites like lamb rogan josh, saag paneer, aloo gobi, and dal tadka. The restaurant has a cozy pub atmosphere with live music on weekends and happy hour specials on weekdays.
- Address: 6690 Southwest Fwy., Houston TX 77074
- Website: https://www.londonsizzler.com/
- Operating hours: Monday-Saturday 11 am – 10:30 pm; Sunday 12 pm – 9:30 pm
So there you have it – our list of the 10 popular Indian restaurants in Houston that you should try. Whether you’re a fan of spicy or mild, meat or veggie, north or south, you’ll find something to delight your palate at these amazing eateries. Bon appetit!