Cyprus is a small island country in the Mediterranean Sea, considered among the most beautiful countries to visit. Cyprus is an EU member state that offers citizens from other EU member states visa-free access to enter Cyprus for up to 90 days. As a Nigerian, you will need a visa to access the country.
Get to learn how much a Cyprus visa costs from Nigeria, the types of visas, the requirements, and why you will be denied a Cyprus visa in Nigeria as you dig into this article.
How Much is Cyprus Visa in Nigeria
The cost of a Cyprus visa varies. Below is the different Cyprus visa price tag:
- Short stay visa – 20 Euros
- Long stay visa – 60 Euros
- Multiple short-stay visas ( up to 5 years) – 60 Euros
- Airport transit visa – 15 Euros
- Visa on arrival – 20 Euros
- Visa extension – 30 Euros
You can apply online via www.evisaforms.com/cyprus. However, if you apply through an agency, the price may be higher due to service charges.
Types of Cyprus Visa
1. Long-stay Schengen Visa
This is issued to citizens of non-EU/EEA countries who are staying in Cyprus beyond three months or want to study or work there permanently. It can be used for tourism and business purposes only. The fee is currently €60 per person and has a validity period of five years from the date it was issued.
2. Tourist Visa
The tourist visa is valid for 30 days from Cyprus’s arrival date. This visa allows you to visit Cyprus for tourism purposes only. You may not work or study under this type of visa.
3. Business Visa
This is a 90-day multiple-entry business visa that allows you to stay in Cyprus for up to 90 days at any time during the validity period. This type of visa is issued to individuals who intend to visit the island for business purposes, such as attending meetings, conferences, or seminars. It can also be used by investors wishing to establish businesses in Cyprus or those who own shares in companies registered on the island.
4. Study Visa
The study visa is issued to international students who study at recognized educational institutions in Cyprus. This type of visa allows students to enter and depart Cyprus freely as long as they comply with all immigration requirements set out by the immigration department.
5. Visitor Visa (with Multiple Entries)
This visa allows its holder to enter and leave Cyprus without any restrictions during its validity period (up to one year). It also permits multiple entries within the specified time frame.
6. Airport transit visa
This is valid for five days when you can travel through Cyprus but cannot stop there. You must show a valid ticket for onward travel from an EU country or prove that you will continue to another destination outside Europe. The cost is €15 and is issued on arrival at Larnaca or Paphos international airports by immigration officials after completing an application form at least four days in advance. You must also show evidence of sufficient funds to cover your stay in Cyprus, such as a bank statement showing at least $1,000 U.S. dollars (or equivalent).
What are the Requirements in Applying for a Cyprus Visa in Nigeria
Below are the requirements to apply for a Cyprus visa:
- One (1) completed and signed application form must be printed from the website.
- One (1) recent passport-sized color photograph with white background, measuring 35mm x 45mm, showing a full face without headgear, glasses, or contact lenses. The photograph should have been taken within the last six months and should not have been altered in any way. The applicant’s name should be visible on the back of the photograph so that immigration officers can identify it at ports of entry into Cyprus.
- Copy the flight itinerary or e-ticket showing outward and return travel dates (Please note that you will need to provide proof of return flight ticket when you collect your passport).
- Proof of hotel reservation or any other accommodation arrangement for your stay in Cyprus;
- Provide evidence that you have adequate funds for your stay (at least €7000). This is usually done by providing an extract from your bank account or credit card statement showing sufficient funds available. You can also show a copy of your flight return ticket and hotel reservation if you stay in a hotel during your visit.
- Provide proof of sponsorship if you are traveling for business purposes. If this is not possible, you must provide proof that you have been invited by an organization operating in Cyprus or other reputable documentation, such as an invitation letter from the host organization or a business colleague who resides in Cyprus.
- Proof of medical insurance with coverage in Cyprus (minimum coverage € 30,000 per accident/event) valid for the entire stay in Cyprus.
- You must be aged 18 or over.
Can Your Cyprus Visa Application Be Denied in Nigeria?
Yes, it can be denied, and below are some reasons why your Cyrus visa can be denied.
- You do not have sufficient funds to live on while in Cyprus;
- You have no invitation letter from someone who lives in Cyprus;
- Your reason for visiting Cyprus does not comply with the regulations set by the government; and
- Your criminal record does not meet standards set by the government.
There are no limits to the number of times you can apply for a Cyprus visa. However, if you have been denied in the past, it is advisable to wait for at least six months before reapplying again.
This is because the authorities may be able to check your previous applications, which will show if you have applied more than once within a short time. If they see that you have applied twice within a month, they may be suspicious and deny your application.
I am a Nigerian, and I want to visit Cyprus. Can I get a visa on arrival?
Yes, getting a visa on arrival is possible if you have proof of onward travel and enough money to support yourself during your stay in Cyprus. A visa on arrival costs 20 Euros.
How long does it take to process my application for a Cyprus visa in Nigeria?
Processing times vary depending on what type of visa application. Generally speaking, it will take about four weeks to submit it.
Can a tourist visa be converted to a student visa?
Yes, converting your tourist visa into a student visa is possible. However, this can only be done if an accredited educational institution has already accepted you and you have already paid your tuition fees in full.
How long is the tourist visa valid?
The duration of a tourist visa depends on the country that issued it. In most cases, it is about three months. However, if there is a reason that warrants you to stay longer than three months, you can always consult the embassy for direction and advice on what to do.
A Cyprus visa is one of the most straightforward visas to apply for. You can decide to do it online or go through a travel agency. For the latter, ensure the travel agency is registered and legit.
Ensure you check for the requirements before starting the application to avoid any mistake that may cause your visa to be denied.
In the case of a visa denial, it is advised you wait for three to six months before reapplying again.